FarmBot is an opensource and scalable automated precision farming machine and software package designed from the ground up with today’s technologies. Similar to today’s 3D printers and CNC milling machines, FarmBot hardware employs linear guides in the X, Y, and Z directions that allow for tooling such as plows, seed injectors, watering nozzles, and sensors, to be precisely positioned and used on the plants and soil.
The entire system is numerically controlled and thus fully automated from the sowing of seeds to harvest. The hardware is designed to be simple, scalable, and hackable.
Using the opensource webbased software package, the user can graphically design their farm to their desired specifications and upload numerical control code to the hardware. Other features of the software include storing and manipulating data maps, a decision support system to facilitate data driven farm design, access to an open data repository, and enterprise class analytics.
The following is a sample of intrinsic advantages of FarmBot that make it a superior system to conventional methods and technologies.
- Ability to plant polycrops in a machine efficient manner
- Ability to optimize operations such as watering, spraying, and seed spacing
- Full automation and 24/7 possible operation
- Virtually unlimited farm design possibilities
- Incorporates “Big Data” acquisition and analysis for datadriven
- decision making and “Smart Farming”
- Ability to plant in the most space efficient layouts
- Scalable from a backyard system to an industrial operation
- Allows for the democratization and decentralization of food production
- Free and opensource,
- fully documented, hackable, and accessible
The vision of this project is to create an open and accessible technology aiding everyone to grow food and to grow food for everyone. The mission is to grow a community that produces free and opensource hardware plans, software, data, and documentation enabling everyone to build and operate a farming machine.
For more information about Farmbot, go to the site.